Thursday, February 20, 2014

Talking to People

So after wondering if my expectations are too high, I have decided maybe they are. And what I feel might be an okay way to deal with that is to try to teach people. I’ve been talking about the issues I have with another healer a lot, and I have not talked to him about it once. I am going to make a sincere effort to discuss it with him tonight. Hopefully I will have a chance before raid, to at least talk to him roommate and ask “Is he open to advice?” and “Can you tell him I would like to talk to him about healing, and ask him to get on maybe 5 minutes before raid time?” if the answer to the first question is yes.

Assuming all that happens (cause I talk a big game, but I hate talking TO people), the plan is to share with him at least 1 simple weakaura that shows harmony has fallen off. Maybe anther for LB, if he’s interested. And offer one for our tier set 2-piece bonus that I like. And one to remind me to use swiftmend and ironbark, if he’d like. My main goal: to talk to him about harmony, and about speaking up if he hasn’t: watched a video or read a description. Because that Malkorok thing really, really, really, bugged me. 

The next thing I would like to try, hopefully the same night, is a quick whisper to our other tank that I notice she feels “squishy” and I’ve seen shuffle has a really low uptime, could she perhaps try to keep that up more? I want to look up a good weakaura for it, and offer to share that if she’s interested. I’ve looked up a few, and I might go give them a look on my horde monk, see if they are helpful.

Yes, I have a horde toon. Made it to 60, and parked her in Org until I can get someone to take me through a ton of outland dungeons to 68. I m not a fan of Outland, so I’ve been avoiding it. My hunter is also stuck at 63, for the same reason. The big thing here is- I went brewmaster on my monk. Well, I learned the spec and set it up and promptly swapped back to windwalker before I tried to tank something.

I feel awkward talking to tanks without trying tanking myself, but as someone with an awful sense of direction and usually a squishy healer, I rely on my tanks a lot. I expect tanks to a) know where they are going and b) keep me safe while I keep them alive. So I am really, really hesitant to tank. I get lost easily, I don’t know a lot of the leveling dungeons, and I’ve never tanked anything. Stepping in the circle on Sha of Pride in LFR as a healer doesn’t count. I’m sure I can manage, if I started and practiced. I have almost a complete set of tank gear in my bank on Nala, and she’s equipped it exactly once so I can transmog it and see what it looks like. The hard part is done- I found a transmog, that’s what’s important, right?

I’m rambling because I am nervous about trying to talk to these people. I try to avoid confrontation, and put up with a lot of crap before I speak up. I’m probably only thinking this now because I know there are at least 3 other people who agree with me, cause we’ve bemoaned the situation before. My last time approaching someone went really well- he learned about hit/expertise caps, mr. robot, and that alone improved his DPS a bit. He’s not where a top-level player would be, but he’s better than before, I think. But I am worried this might not go over so well. I also stink at teaching. I tutored a few people, and once I explain something I expect people to get it and move on. So when people don’t, I’m stumped.

An example- I explain an easy way to avoid the spikes on Seigecrafter, 3 or 4 weeks ago. Then last week, find out someone still has no clue about the easy way to go about it. Maybe they weren’t there, or maybe my explanation stinks. And I don’t know which. 


I’ve prepared a script for my discussion with the healer- my end anyway. Here’s hoping it works out! I’ll let you know if I go through with it/how it works later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment