Monday, July 13, 2015

Quick Recap

I mentioned a while ago that I have started my final year of school. For vet school, that’s a clinical year where everything we’ve learned is put in to practice under the supervision of interns, residents, and senior clinicians.

My first rotation was Necropsy and Pharmacology! It was very interesting. They tried to ease us in since we’re new to the school and area, and it is indeed a very light schedule compared to some of the others. We do cases in the morning, and the longest that took was 12:30, and after that we meet up at 1 to talk about drug cases. The second week the days were even shorter with no discussions in the afternoon, except a case presentation on Friday.

The cases were interesting. We’ve saw some unusual presentations on heart-based tumors- one looked just like someone had stuck a marble in the atrium of the heart, and when the resident cut it open she went “whoa!” and so did pretty much everyone else she showed it to. I’m interested to see what that came back as from histopathogy.

One morning, we worked on a snake that was found dead in its cage and turned out to have had pneumonia. Their anatomy is not so different, just elongated. It did take us a while to decide if the liver was actually the liver because the gall bladder was down with the spleen, and as it turns out the liver has some stuff going on too.

My second rotation was equine medicine. I was much busier. Students were responsible for getting the treatments done before 8 am, which mean getting there at 6:30 some mornings, and we were often there to 6. Mostly is was colics, with a few other things sprinkled in. I ended up taking a strangles case on day 1, which meant I couldn’t do anything with any of the foals that came in since strangles is highly contagious. The horse was in isolation, but still, better to be safe.

My current rotation is nuerology. I love it. We still do morning treatments here too, but so far that means getting in at 7 to have treatments done by 8. We’re usually done for the day by 5 pm. The people here have been really nice, and though I was worried at first nuero has become much simpler since we broke it down to localize the lesion to one of these 8 possible things, then go from there. There is a lot of down time, so I’ve been catching up on studying. My plan is to work on studying for dermatology, my next rotation.

On personal stuff, I’ve been working on a general and unstructured “be healthier!” plan. I’m not too sure I’d call anything a success yet. I am taking a daily walk, but I now have a dog and live next to a very nice lake, so it’s hard not to go walking with her. And Bella (my dog) is doing so well here. The lake trails are very busy, but she doesn’t bark at other people or dogs. I think she’s too focused on the squirrels and trying to decide if she can take on the geese to bark at approaching dogs.

On the WoW front:
I was without my computer for nearly a week so I took a forced break. I think I finally don’t care about raiding with my guild, yay! I have even stopped listening to the stream one of our officers does. Of course, now I have the free time to do so again. Isn’t that always how it goes?

I’m hesitant to step back in, I’m not sure I’m in a good mindset to raid with them at the moment. I am a little tired, getting used to the early mornings, which makes me a little more sensitive to criticism and more likely to be unhappy with people.  

I may do another day of the “normal” group, but the issue there is it looks like Thursday is the best day for most people. And I would really like to have an “open” day on the earlier bosses and keep bringing all the people who want to come, and then make the second night a bit more aimed at progressing. I don’t want to make it another heroic group until we’re clearing reasonably far in, at which point I may start doing something with lockouts to have a heroic night and a normal night, but i don’t know for sure yet.

I had talked my self out of doing a second night but I may have talked myself right back into it again.  Right now, 9 people have replied, but only 6 can reliably do Thursday. I keep coming up with grand plans, but a lot of them involve me doing extra things I don’t have the time for.

Anyways, the exciting news: CHALLENGE MODES! We are 4/8 gold, 8/8 silver now. And we had a pleasant surprise finishing Grimrail- REALM BEST!!! I have no idea how that works, since one person on our realm has 11 minutes and change, and there’s another group of 3 people on our realm who have us beat by 5 seconds, but yay! Whoo! /cheer! I’m still smiling about that. We knocked out UBRS silver to get the mounts. Seems the 4th boss is buggy, in CM and mythic- that fire is going all the way to the door. We’ll work on getting gold next Sunday, and if it’s still an issue we’ll just have to work around it.

Now comes all the screen shots :)

No comments:

Post a Comment